What are you going to do if you are in a burning house? How will you escape? Do you know how to save yourself? Please read the following passage.
Escaping a fire is a serious matter. Knowing what to do during a fire can save you life. It is important to know the ways you can use and show them to everyone in the family, such as stairways and fire escapes, but not lifts.
From the lower floors of the buildings, escaping through windows is possible, learn the best way of leaving by windows with the least chance of serious injury.
The second floor window is usually not very high from the ground. An average(平均高度的) person, hanging by the finger-tips will have a drop of about six feet to the ground. It is about the height of an average man. Of course, it is safer to jump a short way than to stay in a burning building.
Windows are also useful when you are waiting for help. Be sure to keep the door closed. Or smoke and fire may be drawn into the room. Keep your head low at the window to be sure you get fresh air rather than smoke that may leaked(渗) into the room.
On a second or third floor, the best windows for escape are those that open onto a roof. From the roof a person can drop to the ground more safely. Dropping onto cement(水泥) might end in injury. Bushes(灌木丛) and grass can help to break a fall.
1. It is important to _______.
A. put out the fire in the burning house B. know the ways to escape the fire
C. jump off a burning house D. keep the door closed
2. It is possible to escape through the windows _______.
A. if there are some bushes on the ground B. if you are strong enough
C. if you live on a lower floor D. If you have a long rope
3. Which of the following escaping way is NOT right? _______.
A. You can escape though stairways. B. You can choose fire escapes.
C. Escape from the windows that open onto a roof. D. Use a lift to come down at once.
4. Open the window so that _______ if the building is on fire.
A. you can get fresh air B. you can call for help
C. you can easily jump off D. you can be seen first
5. The best title of the passage is _______.
A. Escaping from the Windows B. Save Yourself in the Burning House
C. Knowledge on Fire D. Waiting for Help
1. 选B。从句子It is important to know the ways you can use and show them to everyone in the family,…可知，当房子着火后，最重要的是你要知道the ways to escape the fire(逃生方式)，故答案选B。
2. 选C。在短文的第2段说到…from the lower floors of building escaping through windows is possible。故选C。
3. 选D。在短文中特别强调在大火发生时，人们可以从 stairways 和 fire escapes逃生, but not lifts(但不能从电梯)，因为那是相当危险的。
4. 选A。在短文的第5段提到了可…keep your head low at the window to be sure you get fresh air…可知。